How to make upma (Karnataka style)
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
- 1 cup rava
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2-3 Green chilly chopped
- 1 big sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium sized carrot finely chopped
- 6-7 beans fiely chopped
- 1 small sized capsicum chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh green peas or frozen peas
- Salt for taste
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 table spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 strand of curry leaves
- 2 table spoon of grates coconut
- ¼ teaspoon of grated ginger
- 3 table spoon of oil for cooking
- 1 ½ tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of ghee while serving
- 2 ½ cup of water
Method of cooking:
- Heat one table spoon of oil to a pan, add rava to it for frying. Roast the rava until it turns light brown. Keep stirring to avoid over roasting. Once done, put it in a bowl.
- Add 3 table spoon of oil and let it heat. Then add mustards seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to sputter, add hing, turmeric powder, chana dal and urad dal. Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, green chilly and onion. Add grated ginger. Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped carrot, beans, fresh peas. Fry it for 2 min on medium flame.
- Add capsicum and tomato. Fry it for 2 min. (you can add grated coconut after this step if you don’t like to eat it raw)
- Add coriander leaves, salt, sugar and at last add water. Wait until the water in the pan comes to a boiling point and check the vegetables if they are boiled.
- Add rava and keep stirring until the water content goes null. Cover the lid and let it be there for 5 min.
- Stir the mix once again, add coriander leaves, grated coconut and lemon juice and mix it well.
- Let it cool for 5 min and then serve it on plate.