How to make khara pongal (Karnataka style)
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A big pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper
- 1-2 green chili
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- Salt as per your taste
- 1 cup of rice
- moong dal 1/2 cup
- 2 and 1/2 or 3 cup of water
Method of cooking:
- heat the cooking pan for a min and put moong dal for frying. Once the dal turns to light brown, put it in a bowl.
- put 1 table spoon of oil in to the pan, let the oil heat. add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let it splutter.
- Add turmeric powder, pinch of asafoetida and pepper. Let the pepper fry.
- add green chilly, ginger and curry leaves. Once they are fried add salt and grated coconut.
- add water and rice and close the lid of the cooker. switch off the gas after 2 whistles.
- Wait until the pressure of the cooker goes to nil. Open the lid and mix it well and serve it on a bowl.