Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu
Father’s Name: Late Shri Rangaiah Naidu
Mother’s Name: Late Shrimati Ramanamma
Date of Birth: 01/07/1949
Place of Birth: Chavatapalem, SPSR Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh
Marital Status: Married
Spouse’s Name: Shrimati Muppavarapu Usha
Children: One Son and One daughter
Educational Qualifications: B.A., B.L. (Educated at V.R. High School, Nellore; V.R. College, Nellore and Law College, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam)
Profession: Agriculturist/Farmer, Political and Social worker
Present Address: Vice-President House, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi – 110011, Telephone – 011-23016422, 23016344
- 1971: President, Students’ Union, V.R. College, Nellore
- 1973-74: President, Students Union, Andhra University Colleges
- 1974:Convener, Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Kshatra Sangharsh Samiti of Andhra Pradesh
- 1977-80: President, Youth Wing of Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh
- 1978-83 & 1983-85: Member, Legislative Assembly, Andhra Pradesh
- 1980-83: Vice-President, Youth Wing of All India B.J.P.
- 1980-85: Leader, B.J.P. Legislature Party in Andhra Pradesh
- 1985-88: General Secretary, Andhra Pradesh State B.J.P.
- 1988-93: President, Andhra Pradesh State Unit of B.J.P.
- 1993 -2000: General Secretary, All India B.J.P.
- 1996 – 2000: Secretary (i) BJP Parliamentary Board, & (ii) BJP Central Election Committee, and (iii) Spokesperson, BJP
- April 1998: Elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka (1st term)
- 1998 – 99: Member, Committee on Home Affairs and Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Agriculture
- 1998 – 2001 & 2005 – 2013: Member, Tobacco Board
- 1999 – 2000: Member, Committee on Finance
- Jan 2000: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Rural Development
- 2000 (Sept) -2002 (June): Minister of Rural Development, Government of India
- 2002 (July) – 2004 (Oct): National President, B.J.P.
- 2004 (Jan) – 2004 (Feb): Member, Committee on External Affairs
- June 2004: Re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka (2nd term)
- 2004 – 06: Member, Standing Committee on Finance
- 2005: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
- 2006 – 2008: Chairman, Committee on Petitions (Rajya Sabha)
- 2006 onwards: Member, (i) BJP Parliamentary Board, and (ii) BJP Central Election Committee
- 2008 – 2014: Chairman, Committee on Home Affairs (Rajya Sabha)
- June 2010: Re-elected to Rajya Sabha in June, 2010 from Karnataka (3rd term)
- 2011 (Dec) – 2014 (May): Parliamentary Forum on Disaster Management
- 26 May 2014 – 5 July, 2016: Minister for Urban Development, Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs ;
- June, 2016 – Re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan (4th term)
- 6th July, 2016 – 17 July 2017: Minister for Urban Development, Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, and Information and Broadcasting.
Other interests: Agriculture, social work and writing articles in newspapers on the subjects of political and public interest; motivating voluntary organizations and involving and guiding constructive works in the fields of agriculture, health, animal care, vocational training, education etc.
Hobbies: Reading, Educating and motivating people
Countries visited: U.S.A., U.K., Malaysia, Singapore, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Australia, Mauritius, Maldives, Dubai, Hong Kong, Thailand, Spain, Egypt and Germany.
Other Information: Chairman, Students’ Union at College and also in University; Imprisoned under MISA during the emergency, 1975-77;
Vice President’s House, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi – 110 011
Phone: 011-23016422, 23016344