Tourism in Jammu and Kashmir
The holy shrines of Jammu and the Buddhist monasteries of Ladakh continue to remain popular pilgrimage and tourism destinations. Every year, thousands of Hindu pilgrims visit holy shrines of Vaishno Devi and Amarnath. In Kashmir, Gulmarg one of the most popular ski resort destinations in India, is also home to the world’s highest green golf course.
In Jammu and Kashmir the most important tourist places are Kashmir, Srinagar, the Mughal Gardens, Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Jammu, and Ladakh.
List of Destinations in Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh region are:
- Vaishno Devi – famous shrine
- Patnitop – hill station
- Eco-tourism places: Mantalai and Shivkhori
- Punj old fort
- Shahdra Sharif shrine
- Bhimgarh Fort
- ramnagar fort in udhampur District
- Srinagar – Capital of Jammu and Kashmir
- Dal lake – famous lake in Srinagar, with house boats called shikharas.
- Manasbal Lake
- Shalimar Gardens
- Nishant Gardens
- Gulmarg – popular hill station
- Pahalgam – scenic valley
- Sonamarg – tourist resort
- Amarnath temple – pilgrimage site for Hindu devotees of Lord Shiva
- Eco-tourism places:Gurex, Dudhpathri, Bangus valley
- Leh – capital of Lakakh, famous monasteries.
- Nubra Valley – scenic valley with towns of Deskit and Hundar.
- Lake Moriri – one of the largest and high altitude lakes.
- Pangong Lake – Lake divided between India and China
- Zanskar – scenic trekking areas.