Mangaluru Bajji Recipe
Ingredients: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 2 tender long green brinjal
- 1 cup sona masuri or any high quality rice
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp gram dal / channa dal
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 5 – 6 cashews or 2 tbsp ground nuts
- 5 – 6 curry leaves
- 1 gooseberry sized tamarind
- 3 – 4 tsp vangi bath powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as per your taste
- 8 tsp cooking oil
- To prepare vangi bath, first cook the rice and set it aside.
- Try to use tender green brinjals for better taste.
- cut the brinjals into 2 ” pieces and slit them length wise. Soak the cut brinjals in good drinking water and set it aside.
- Take a oil in a frying pan and heat it. Add in mustard seeds, gram dal, urad dal and cashews.
- Fry until mustard seed splutters and dals turn brown in colour. But do not burn them. Add in curry leaves and reduce the flame.
- Add in soaked brinjal pieces by squeezing out the water. Fry the brinjals for 1 minute under high flame.
- Add in turmeric powder and fry for 2 more minutes under medium flame.
- Add in salt.
- Add in tamarind juice extracted from one gooseberry sized tamarind.
- Cover and cook the brinjals for 5 minutes under low flame.
- Now add in 3 – 4 tsp of vangi bath powder.
- Fry for 2 more minutes and switch off the stove.
- Add in cooked rice.
- Mix well using a flat spatula. Serve it with raita or curd rice.