Ministry of Tourism compiles monthly estimates of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) & FTAs on e-Visa on the basis of Nationality-wise, Port-wise data received from Bureau of Immigration (BOI). Accordingly, for the month of January 2017, a growth of 16.5% is observed as compared to January 2016, surpassing the previous year’s corresponding growth of 6.8% observed in January 2016 over January 2015. Correspondingly, there has been observed a growth of 72% in the tourists arrived on e-Visa during January 2017 over January 2016 by registering a figure of 1.52 Lakhs as compared to 0.88 Lakhs in the month of January 2016. Clearly, the share of tourists availing e-Visa facility in January 2017 has reached a level of 15.5% as against 10.4% in the month of January 2016. This clearly outlines the steady success of e-Visa facility in quantifiable terms.
Following a modified approach, Ministry of Tourism from the month of January 2017, shall be presenting monthly Foreign Tourist Inflows to India as well as the Foreign Tourists who availed e-Visa facility, simultaneously.
The following are the important highlights regarding FTAs & FTAs on e-Visa from tourism during the month of January, 2017.
Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs):
- The number of FTAs in January, 2017 were 9.83 lakh as compared to FTAs of 8.44 lakh in January, 2016 and 7.91 lakh in January, 2015.
- The growth rate in FTAs in January, 2017 over January, 2016 is 16.5% compared to 6.8% in January, 2016 over January, 2015.
- The percentage share of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in India during January 2017 among the top 15 source countries was the highest from USA (15.01%) followed by Bangladesh (14.91%), UK (11.11%), Canada (4.63%), Russian Fed. (4.46%), Australia (3.65%), Malaysia (3.15%), Germany (2.92%), France (2.89%) and China (2.54%), Sri Lanka (2.45%), Japan(2.15%),Afghanistan (1.84%), Rep. of Korea (1.61%) and Nepal (1.60%).
- The percentage share of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in India during January 2017 among the top 15 ports was the highest at Delhi Airport (28.30%) followed by Mumbai Airport (18.23%), Haridaspur Land checkpost (8.17%), Chennai Airport (7.32%), Goa Airport (6.51%), Bengaluru Airport (5.32%), Kolkata Airport (4.32%), Cochin Airport (3.73%), Ahmedabad Airport (3.37%) and Hyderabad Airport (2.74%), Gede Rail Land checkpost (1.77%), Trivandrum (1.62%), Trichy Airport (1.38%), Ghojadanga land checkpost (1.08%) and Amritsar Airport (1.02%).
Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) on e-Visa
- During the month of January, 2017 total of 1.52 lakh tourist arrived on e-Visa as compared to 0.88 lakh during the month of January 2016 registering a growth of 72.0%
- The percentage shares of top 15 source countries availing e-Visa facilities during January, 2017 were as follows:
UK (22.9%), USA (13.6%), Russian Fed (8.3%), China (6.3%), France (5.6%), Australia (4.4%), Germany (4.1%), Canada (3.6%), Korea (Rep.of) (3.2%) and Ukraine (2.2%), Netherlands (1.6%), South Africa (1.4%), Singapore (1.3%), Malaysia (1.3%) and Sweden (1.1%).
The percentage shares of top 15 ports in tourist arrivals on e-Visa during January, 2017 were as follows:
New Delhi Airport (36.5%), Mumbai Airport (20.5%), Dabolim (Goa) Airport (16.2%), Chennai Airport (7.0%), Bengaluru Airport (5.1%), Kochi Airport (4.2%), Kolkata Airport (2.7%), Trivandrum Airport (2.0%), Hyderabad Airport (2.0%) and Ahmadabad Airport (1.7%), Amritsar Airport (0.8%), Jaipur Airport (0.5%), Tirchy Airport (0.4%), Gaya Airport (0.2%)and Lucknow Airport(0.1%).